The Christian village of San Lorenzo has its origins in the Middle Ages, around the year one thousand; it stood on the hill at the crossroads connecting Maremma and Arezzo on one side, and the Etruscan road between Chiusi (Rome) and Chianti (Florence) on the other.
A document of 1040 states that the Church of San Lorenzo extra Moenia (located outside the walls) was present with a paleochristian chapel dedicated to St. Lawrence Martyr.
The church was destroyed and rebuilt several times.
San Lorenzo's lands were part of the territory of the Santa Maria della Scala Hospital in Siena, which had Ghibellin protection. The wheat and the rest of the country products were collected in the Grancia within the centre of Serre di Rapolano, which has now become a museum.
During the war against Florence in the thirteenth century the church was completely destroyed, then documents of Siena archives prove that only around 1468 it had been restored by the parish priest of Serre after a pastoral visit of the Bishop of Arezzo, who threatened excommunication if it was not restructured as he wanted.
The Church and all the oratory of San Lorenzo have lived through the period of their heyday in the late sixteenth century, as the story tells from an interior of the church pastoral visit in 1583.
The church was totally destroyed in 1944 during the World War II.
It stands today thanks to the reconstruction done by the Bernini family in 2010.
It was then consecrated on July 13th, 2011